Webelos Scouts that earn the Fishing Belt Loop while a
also satisfy part of requirement 3 for the Sportsman Activity Badge.
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Review your local fishing regulations with your leader or adult partner. Explain why they are important, and commit to following them.
- Demonstrate how to properly bait a hook.
- Spend at least 30 minutes trying to catch a fish.
Earn the Fishing belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Compete in a pack or community fishing tournament.
- Demonstrate how to clean a fish in preparation for cooking and eating it. Properly dispose of any waste.
- Prepare a report on three different kinds of fish. Include information on preferred habitats, feeding habits, and recommended fishing techniques, baits, and equipment needed to catch it. Tell your den or an adult family member what you learned.
- Draw a picture of three different types of fishing reels. Explain how each works.
- Tie three fishing flies that are used in places you fish. Use at least one to fish.
- Practice casting for 30 minutes at a target 30 feet away.
- Select a species of fish and draw a picture of it, correctly labeling each part and its function.
- Replace the line in a fishing reel.
- Make a simple pole and line fishing rig. Use it to catch a fish.
- Catch a fish using artificial bait or lures.
- Practice fishing on five occasions, complying with local fishing regulations and the Outdoor Code.
|Worksheets for use in working on these requirements:||DOC File||PDF File|